Thursday, December 30, 2010

December Response--Alex Hoopes

I just wanted to take the time to say how proud I am of the Wake Up Coalition teens. I was so impressed with how my peers acted at the meeting. I was nervous that my friends, and the Wake Up teens are some of my best friends, would not take the program seriously. I was so wrong. Yesterday, everyone approached our mission with great maturity and focus. It's amazing to see how passionately each teen wants to help with the issues of sex education, teen pregnancy, and suicide. Jake Mather's monologue was particularly moving. His group managed to write a scene that encapsulated everything a troubled kid would feel about sexual orientation and suicide. I couldn't believe these words were coming from the mouth of a kid I'd known for years as being so funny and goofy. The mood in the room was so powerful. Everyone was so determined to create real change. We were not talking about this program as a dream or something that might happen years from now. The Wake Up Coalition is happening now. I'm so excited for it! I can't stop thinking about how wonderful yesterday was and I remember watching the clock hit 4:00 and not wanting to leave. I could've stayed and talked about the issues for hours. I can't wait to go back and really start putting our words to action. Thanks everyone for making that day really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment